View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #18
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am teaching them that missions are optional. If they choose to serve, then by all means serve an honorable mission. But they dont have to go if they dont want to go. And they need to know that.

I definitely have talked to them about my mission. But i give them the real scoop....that missions are awesome, but sometimes they are hard work, sometimes boring, you get homesick, you miss dating women, lots of missionaries are disobedient, some of the local women flirt with you a lot, etc...a few priests have told me privately that I have told them things that their own parents had never told them about missions, but that they felt I was being straight-up with them. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I would tell them those same things.

It depends how you present the "optional" aspect though, and how much emphasis you place on the benefits of serving, and how it can change one's life for the better in ways nothing else can. I just don't think it is right to give them the impression that it is "no big deal" if they don't serve, or that it is not expected.

Last edited by NorCal Cat; 10-21-2008 at 04:46 PM.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote