View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Those of you who graduated from BYU, is there a requirement that you remain a member in good standing until you walk? I maybe nuts, but it seems to me like I graduated when my graduations was approved, that is, someone at the graduation office confirmed that I had met all the requirements and the grades were turned in. Walking is a formality.

As I'm thinking about this, I guess the question is did a time come when he had met all the requirements and had his graduation approved, or was he ex-d prior and that was one of the conditions. If it is the former I don't see how the degree can be with held. I guess I do understand the idea that you don't want someone who has already traded on the church on a way the church saw as inappropriate having a BYU degree on his resume, still, potentially taking away his ability to earn a living.....I don't know.
I have no idea what the rules are in a case like this. But if someone has met the academic requirements for graduation they should get their degree. Period. This comes off as petty and mean-spirited.