View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
You write as if Obama can increase taxes at will. Congress might follow him, but a tax increase would hardly be his responsibility alone. Plus, the next president has his work cut out for him if he's going to tackle budget issues. Whether it's McCain or Obama, I'll bet taxes go up and programs get cut. The Bush administration hasn't left a lot of options on the table.
The Congress will become his rubber stamp.

Programs, except for the military will NOT be cut. The military will be depleted, something despised by Dems, and I am not an advocate of interventionism.

Name a program Obama wants to cut outside of the military. If one exists, it is a very small or insignificant one.

If you believe resolving all problems through government to be the answer, you don't decrease the size of government. It won't happen and the Republican Party is completely neutered.

Not my best work, but

a fundamental difference exists between Obama and advocates of small government.

Obama ignores the culture of bureaucracies, the affects of government upon economic activity, and I wonder what aspects of government control in economic sphere he does not advocate. It's unclear what position he takes relative to government injection of liquidity and capital in order to remedy the financial picture, but it appears he takes a very interventionist position. He's posturing now to avoid being tied down to any position.

Obama advocates we should provide more services, i.e., Healthcare, create more bureaucracies, the health care insurance bureaucracy, at a time when we have no further resources.

I guess the key is, Obama trusts more in the wisdom of regulators and bureaucrats, unelected officials, than instincts of inidviduals at large. Obama is a collectivist, whereas I trust individuals to do the right thing if properly motivated.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote