View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why I'm voting for Obama

Friends and certain family members are surprised, some even shocked, I'm voting for Obama; I vote Republican at least 80% of the time, but not this time. I was a National Review subscriber in high school and always admired WFB's command of language. That's why it's particularly interesting to read today that his son Christopher, another gifted writer, has announced his support for Obama and his resignation from the magazine's editorial staff.

In a CNN story, Buckley mentioned a couple of things I strongly agree with: "Eight years of 'conservative' government has brought us a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance. As a sideshow, it brought us a truly obscene attempt at federal intervention in the Terry Schiavo case."

I also agree with his view that Obama has the intellect and temperament for the job, things in which McCain seems to be deficient. Finally, in matters of personal character, despite McCain's valorous service, I think Obama trumps him.

I'm deeply concerned by the mischief a triumvirate of Obama/Pelosi/Reid may get into, but I'm betting, not without considerable risk I admit, that Obama's intelligence and ability to see the long-term effects on his legacy will be a moderating influence.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...ase-for-obama/
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote