View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
For me, no, I'm not rethinking anything. My opposition to Prop 8 does not stem from a desire to make Gay Marriage part of the church's doctrine, but rather because civil marriage, to me, has little to do with Eternal Marriage. I don't expect the Church to change the definitions and requirements for a temple marriage, and don't have any desire for them to do so. Civil marriage has always encompassed a lot of things that would not be acceptable for a temple marriage, such as open marriages. I don't believe that open marriages should be accepted by the church, but I have no argument with people who want this for themselves, or at least no legal argument.
That pretty much captures my feelings on the subject, other than I think that ideally, marriage (homosexual or heterosexual) shouldn't be sanctioned by governments at all, but should be a purely religious ceremony. But that's just semantics, I guess. I do suspect that there are a few who feel that marriage in the eternities is just a union of two people, regardless of gender. I'm not sure how you could be gay in the church and not want the church to change its definition of marriage.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote