View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
My thoughts are pretty simple: If we play like that on Thurs night the winning streak and BCS hopes come to a screeching halt.

When I heard Bronco say on the radio afterwards that the conservative play calling through the 1st one and a half quarters was by design because they didn't want to turn the ball over I wanted punch my car stereo.

Conceding that position to UNM's defense before the ball is even kicked off infuriates me. They are playing the #1 ranked defense in the nation in TCU on Thursday and if we come out with another conservative plan to start the game as opposed to what we'd been doing, we're going too be in big trouble.

All season long we've jumped on opponents early and been aggressive and making a conscicous decision to not be aggressive and just kind of hoping we don't turn the ball over by throwing 3 yard underneath dink and dunks was disconcerting to say the least.

On Thurs the #1 thing I want to see is a return to aggressive play calling and aggression by a pissed off offense and a TD score on the 1st drive. Send an early message.
I absolutely disagree.

* BYU had only nine possessions this game. They scored on 3 of those, and missed a FGA. That's not that bad in terms of putting your team in position to score.

* BYU ran NINE plays in Q1. NINE!!!! Of those:

1. 1st & 10: +16 pass to Reed
2. 1st & 10: -2 pass to Collie
3. 2nd & 12: +6 pass to Pitta
4. 3rd & 6: Incomplete to Collie.
-Punt.
5. 1st & 10: +9 pass to Unga (from BYU 9).
6. 2nd & 1: +5 rush Collie.
7. 1st & 15: Pass Incomplete to Reed.
8. 2nd & 15: +11 pass to Collie.
9. 3rd & 4: Pass incomplete to Reed.

I have NO problem passing on 1st & 10 to open the drives, and you can't argue with the results - both opening plays were successes. Beyond that, the ONLY play we could have run the ball but didn't was the 2nd 1st & 10 in drive 1.

* BYU held a VERY good UNM Rushing O to 60% of their normal output, DESPITE UNM "surprising" us with the QB option play that wasn't apparent in film.

The MLB's were over-pursuing. Once the coaches reigned them in, and they were covering their assignments better, the cut-back option the QB was using closed up significantly.

* Given the fact UNM ran the ball 50 times, are you really that surprised the zone was softer than normal? The LB's were cheating to cover the run, which made what is normally a soft spot in the zone (underneath along the sidelines) even softer.

If BYU has no turnovers, scores a TD on 33% of their drives & adds a FGA on another 11% of their drives, holds TCU to 60% of their normal rushing O, I think BYU wins & wins easily.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote