View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids and Missions

Are you going to insist that they go? What will the expectation be? What will you tell them if they ask questions about your mission?

Growing up, it was expected that I was going on a mission. I knew I was going and dreaded it. I knew that not going on a mission would be absolutely devestating to my parents (both converts, but dad did a mission in his mid 20's). I was guilted into going.

While I was out, I worked hard and had some success, both in personal spiritual growth and in helping others joined the Church. I look back on my mission generally with fondness. I enjoyed the experience. I liked the spiritual growth, but hated the salesman aspect of it.

My testimony isn't as strong as when I was out, but I've lost "energy" in the Church mostly just because I find the meetings boring and callings bothersome. I still believe in Joseph Smith and the deeper doctrines about the plan of salvation, nature of God, etc.

My point in all this is, I think I will tell my sons that I loved my mission, that it was very hard and very rewarding. I think I will approach it differently than my parents did it with me. From the get go I will let them know that serving a mission is up to them, and I will not be heartbroken if they don't go want to go. Maybe a little bit disappointed, but nothing more.

Can anyone relate to this or have any thoughts on how you plan to handle this with your kids?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote