View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
but as I think about it now, and as I recently watched him on TV, man did he screw the pooch big time.

This election was tailor-made for him. Dems nominate a black guy who grew up overseas and has a weird name. Economy tanks. Businesses tank in a way so complicated that most Americans can't understand it.

And what did Romney do? He tried to court the Jerry Falwells and all those wackos. He tried to play Mr. Social Conservative, I'm-not-a-blue-blood.

He decided to be phony. And the Republicans went with the earnest, but not so bright, and not so with it McCain.

Now, before I start rubbing oil on Romney's back, I do think he has a fundamental flaw in his personality that turns people off, like John Kerry. But I wonder if things will ever set up for him, like they did for him this go-around.

Wow, this was like blowing an uncontested layup with time expiring on the clock. One of the all-time misplays in presidential politics.
I completely agree about Romney. He should have stayed what he was instead of catering to the social conservatives. But if you want to talk about a campaign blowing it to epic proportions you have to look at Rudy Giuliani. How does he go from a commanding national lead to nothing in such a short time? He had no clue how to win the nomination. He thought he didn't need to worry about the early primary states and never figured out the nominating process is all about momentum and bandwagon effect.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote