View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Perhaps he was talking about this gentleman......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He chastised those that turn down callings because they are too busy.

But one example, that I often hear from Mormons regarding callings, is that they want to spend more time with their spouse and children.

Interestingly, he did not use that as an example of an inappropriate reason to turn down a calling.

I think for a lot of people, this is the fundamental pull--church vs. family. Church vs. community.

For example, my son attends a struggling school, and part of me would like to get really involved with the PTA and the "dad's program". Among other things, they ask for males to volunteer to be father figures for these kids. I suspect 95% of the kids in my son's school are on the meal-assistance program.

It's hard to do this sort of thing when your plate is already stacked high with church assignments. Not impossible. But there are only so many hours in the day.

We get a lot of mixed messages in the church--don't turn down time-consuming families. Spend more time with your family. These are in direct conflict. We ask men in this church to do the jobs that in other churches are full-time paid positions.

Juanita Brooks served as the stake relief society president in St. George. Later, as she became more heavily involved in writing and research, she turned down some callings. While her impact on persons in those callings would probably have been great, her impact with her writing is epic.

We all have to make choices we can live with. And sometimes that choice is to say yes to callings, knowing that many before you said yes, and you were the beneficiary.
Gentleman in our ward couldn't commit to a Sunday calling because he couldn't commit to being there every Sunday. But you could see him at EVERY Jazz game (on the front row) no matter what day of the week.

Or the gentleman who was a young men's leader who just wouldn't show up at times because he went to the Jazz games instead. No substitute, nothing. Just left his Teachers at the ward alone hoping they would find something to do.

Both brothers from well recognized surnames in the community. That's probably who he was referring to.