View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It shouldn't necessarily be a no brainer.

There are multiple models as to how representatives should behave. One posits that they should always do what their constituents want (they have been elected to express the views of their constituents and should be slaves to that will with no individual discretion). That seems to be the model advocated by most in this thread. If that is the model, I can see why many voters don't place a high degree of importance on judgment and intelligence in leaders. Those traits would be wholly unnecessary if the representative is supposed to just "follow the polls."

Another model posits that the representative was elected because of superior judgment and intellect and ought to have the ability to make his own determination as to what is correct and what is not, and if he makes too many decisions incorrectly, the people may hold him accountable at the next election.

I find it a bit surprising that so many members of Congress would tend to fall into the first category. I wonder if the proximity of the election has temporarily moved them into a mode of self-preservation. If the election were a bit further away, would they find themselves more in the second group than the first, or are they always in the first group?
You remind me of Anderson Cooper today. The guy was incredulous at the thought of representatives actually bowing to the demands of their constituents "just to get re-elected", while ignoring what was clearly "best for the country".

You guys just don't get it, do you?