View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #26
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
What I am trying to say is, under a capitalist system, gov't handouts are not how people are rewarded for their hard work. It's not the govt's job to make up for inequities in a market economy.

I'm not opposed, of course, to some measure of help as a temporary stopgap to those who are struggling. But Obama is proposing a welfare state, the heart and soul of liberalism. It's stunningly anti-capitalist and anti-traditional America.
I can't think of a worse dis-incentive & demoralizer than layoffs & serious stuggles for those who work hard (but are of limited capacity to become well off), an inevitable byproduct of the unfettered free market. To the extent social program buffer good people from regular & inevitable economic turbulence (and remember, these are folks who typically are unable to "ride it out"), I believe these programs facilitate a healthier economic life for most, leading directly to the greater good.

I took advantage of social programs going to college. After having multiple low-end jobs, the investment the public made in me has resulted in far greater revenue back to the public. I don't see this as some kind of moral hazard, destabilizing the work ethic that underpins our society & culture. In fact, I wholly support similar investments in the generation coming up. Like societal investment in education, it pays off, over all.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote