View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Are you kidding me? He is talking specifically about the POTUS. The most powerful, most important job in the world.

Also, he is not saying that you find the smartest person in the world and make that person president, as your first paragraph implies. Rather, he is arguing that we should have extremely high standards for our candidates.

Sheesh. What an odd thing to have to argue.
I don't like his style of writing but I believe he misses the point. Yes POTUS is currently an important position but it should be devalued. The power of the office has grown and we would be better off if we eliminated some of its powers as well as the powers of Congress. I don't agree we should make the standards rigorous but rather encourage us to devalue the office, make it irrelevant. We don't need that much power situate in one person.

Barbara has already identified the problems with Sam's awful hyperbolic writing.

Am I stating others will follow my advice? No. But it's an awful assumption that there is only one option and that the power vested in that office is a good thing. We need to neuter that office IMHO.