View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #32
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I think it's pretty obvious what's easier. Look at how many MWC teams in the last 10 years have gone unbeaten (which is what it takes). ONE.

Compare that to the number of teams in BCS conferences getting into the BCS with a one- or two-loss team.

If you've got a very good, bcs-worthy team (like BYU & Utah both have this year), you've got to like your chances where you have a mulligan or two better than when you have NO room for error at all.
The rules changed starting, I think, for the 2006 season. That's why Boise State made it in 2006 and Hawaii made it last year. Utah made it in when the rules were more stringent, I believe. If the rules were the same as they were in 2004, then, yeah it would be a once or twice in a decade thing.

Now, it only takes being in the top 12 (and no other non-BCS team being ahead of you) to make a BCS game. BYU would have possibly made it in last year ahead of Hawaii if BYU only had one loss. Did anyone want Hawaii last year? Absolutely not. But Hawaii ended up at no 11 or 12 so they were automatic qualifiers even though they played a horrid schedule.

Also, I would have to say that knucklehead Crowton was the coach for four of the seasons this decade (not that the program was going anywhere with LaVell in his old age). Bronco has obviously turned out to be a helluva coach and there's a lot more continuity in the program now. There's no reason to think that BYU can't be a one loss (or undefeated) team and in the top 12 at least every 3-4 years. I'm not sure if BYU is #2 in the Pac-1 or Big 12 that frequently.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote