View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Henry View Post
The rules state that a non-BCS team in the top 12 is an automatic qualifier. In addition, if a BCS conference champion is outside the top 16 and a non-BCS team is ahead of them, the non-BCS team has to get a spot. So, BYU or Utah could be 13-16 and conceivably get a spot.

Simply put, it doesn't matter what happens in the other conferences if BYU or Utah goes undefeated- BYU or Utah will get a spot in a BCS game. There's no way that BYU or Utah isn't in the top 12 at the end of the year if either goes undefeated. Even if BYU and Utah both falter, Boise State will quite possibly run the table and be in the top 12 themselves. They play Hawaii and Fresno in Boise- they only have one losable road game and that's Southern Miss.

I would venture to say that a one loss MWC team might still have a shot at a BCS game if it weren't for Boise State being a possible fly in the ointment this year. Just imagine if BYU had only one loss last year, BYU would have very possibly been in the top 12 and possibly ahead of undefeated Hawaii. In summary, since the MWC is the best non-BCS conference and because BYU and Utah are the class of the MWC, Utah and BYU both have pretty good shots at BCS games given the current rules.
So, they changed the rules for qualification?

Well, I still don't trust the BCS to do what's right for college football.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote