View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I agree that the chance is miniscule, but I don't think it's zero, and the only reason it's not zero is that there are people talking about it. This is the second national commentator I've seen mention it (neither of whom with Utah ties). The more it's mentioned, the less crazy it becomes until by the end of the year, there's a small contingent talking about it. Other teams would have to really cooperate, but I don't think the chance is zero.

It reminds of 84 when that first voter gave us a #1 vote. I don't know who it was, I don't even think we were in the top ten at the time, and it generated some talk that someone thought we deserved a #1 vote. Pretty soon, we got more and more talk and we ended up there.
It is near impossible, but there is a chance (and it is better than Lloyd Christmas's odds).

BYU has 8 games left, and they currently sit at #11 in both major polls. The computer polls are looking pretty nice right now too for the Cougars. I think they will debut in the BCS polls at higher than their national ranking average.

With 9 weeks left in the season, there are lots of chances for the teams ahead of BYU to lose (BYU could lose also, but I am assuming they go undefeated here for the sake of discussion). Several of the teams ahead of BYU play each other (like Alabama v Georgia on Saturday) so some will have a loss for sure.

BYU would need the SEC champion to have 2 losses, in all likelihood, plus the Big 12 champion. USC is almost a lock for the title game (they play in a worse conference than the MWC this year- nobody is good in the Pac 10 other than USC). The Big 10, ACC and Big East are awful, so I think BYU finishes ahead of their champion if they have one loss. PSU and S Florida would finish ahead of BYU if they were undefeated.

So, Big 12 champ needs 2 losses (I think- the conference looks too good to let 1 loss keep the champ behind BYU). OU could lose to Missouri, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, or maybe be upset by Nebraska. Missouri could lose to Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Kansas, or maybe be upset by someone else (their defense is not impressive, but their offense looks spectacular).

SEC: Good odds the champ has 2 losses. LSU, Georgia, Alabama (not sold on them yet), Auburn, Florida, South Carolina- that is a very deep conference, and they will beat each other up.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote