View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You're not understanding my point.

Bronco's positioning: "we're a church school. We don't recruit, players self select us. We go after a different kind of athlete. We are here first to represent the church and the values and as football players secondarily. We develop a system that can make these kind of players successful".

result: people like Manti Te'o only refer to BYU as a place where there's a good Mormon environment but refers to other schools in terms of football. His dad calls BYU a team of "no stars" ,i.e. 5 star vs 4 star vs no stars.

Another way to position: "Our football program is first and foremost about football. We have coaches that have played in the NFL and have produced many NFL players. We are a top 20 program that can compete with any BCS program. We have a rich tradition with national championship, Heisman winner, and Super Bowl champions. We are a TE and QB factory which no school can rival. If you want to go on a mission, that's fine but you won't be pressured into it. If you are a high school kid who wants to play in the NFL, come here. Compare Brett Keisel to JT Mapu, etc. Oh and by the way, BYU is a special university which represents the church and what we believe to be a high moral standard. If you are LDS you will greatly enjoy the LDS environment in addition to what our football program offers."

I wonder if this might be a better way to position ourselves.

This may sound more flip than I mean it to, but if BYU starts losing, I am sure he'll consider it. In the meantime, scorebaord.