Thread: Race Report
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It was cold for a desert rat, but Viking was at home, calling it nice. I was in full winter gear, shivering.

We hook up to the feed zones through the climbing with Viking descending past me, Viking picking up on every skinny female he can grab, and then him dumping me on any flats. He is very strong on flats.

By the time we're 140 miles into it my chain is rattling fierce and we're following some dude who's pulling us in the high twenties.

I can't use my big gears, shout to Viking that it's killing me to spin that fast in my third biggest gear, he laughs like he's seeing a dying climber and says, "every man for himself." I mean this with the fun, only a cyclist can understand. At that time, nobody is thinking clearly but Viking is looking strong. What about the guy with the Ute shirt up front with no pulls from anybody else? That guy was strong.

Our first one was wonderful and we, if we hadn't followed Viking's advice, would have smoked our times. Those guys were only fours but some of them were skilled riders.
1. Arch deserves a special award for wearing his jacket and booties the whole way. Next year he needs to come up a couple of days early and acclimatize himself. 45 degrees and no wind, conditions were perfect.

2. After staring at guys butts all day it really was a welcome break to get behind one of the fast skinny girls that was in our pack.

3. This guy made me a Ywet fan for a couple of hours.

4. Rob Hall is a much better man then me.

5. In my defense I rode like hell to catch them because of the guilt but couldn't. Won't make that mistake again.

It was a good time. Thanks Arch for the ride.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote