Thread: Desperado Dual
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Desperado Dual

I thought I would report on the century ride out in Panguitch. I didn't see you there arch, figured you might have started with the dualers.
First let me say that I would do this century again, it is a somewhat scenic ride and it is very well run. So everything seemed to be going well for me, I made it to the 26 mile refuel at 1:36. this is the prettiest part of the whole ride, going through red canyon and leading you up by bryce canyon (you turn the opposite way though).

I made it to the next check point at mile 65 in 3;30 and I seemed to be fueling well and felt strong. This runs through black canyon and through a small town of Antimony.

From there I made it to the 3rd check point at mile 80 in 4:50. I slowed down a little here well for one it started to climb and 2 I got hung out by my self. Nothing of note to mention here.

Well this is where the trouble starts. I sweat like no other, in fact my intake of fluid when I did a simple weight before ride and weight after ride suggests I should be taking in over 100 oz of water per hour. From mile 80 to the finish is a drag uphill back to panguitch. I started out doing okay averaging 13 mph but about 2 miles out of the check point there was a huge headwind that put me at about 9 mph. I did this for about 11-12 miles and I was struggling. I had gone through both water bottles that I had picked up at mile 80 and still had 15 miles to go when I started to get cold chills. I thought that was weird but I pushed on for another 2 miles but I still had them and they were constant.

I decided I should stop and rest to see if they would go away. I had stopped for a minute or so when a fellow rider asked if I was okay. I told him I wasn't sure and told him I had cold chills. He said, "you have heat stroke dude, you need to get in the shade right away." I don't know if this was true or not but i wasn't feeling well and I would rather be safe than dead. He and his riding buddies hooked me up with water and I sat in the shade under the instruction that I should not ride for at least an hour. I didnt want to sit under that small juniper tree for an hour with 90 degree heat, so I asked them to send pickup when they reached the finish.

I got help and a ride to the finish. I am shamed but alive. I assume he was correct with his diagnosis, but maybe one of you doctors can let me know. Overall I finished 94 miles of a planned 106 in a time of around 6:25.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote