View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #39
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Some would tell their daughters to take MAP, and some would tell their daughter to bear the consequences no matter what.

In reality, I wager a larger portion would educate their daughters about the consequences probably shading the information or encouraging their daughters to pursue one course or another.

The ethical hair splitting is not very pragmatic. If I had a daughter who encountered that situation and she desired my opinion, I would provide the comfort she needed, inform her of her options, make them feel safe while bringing out the ethical consequences.

But in short, if a person is unintentionally pregnant, at what point does she feel comfortable terminating the pregnancy and at what point does she not. That is a personal decision and it seems odd for men to judge a woman who must make that decision, most times, alone. I can see why a girl who gets has unprotected sex on a one night stand would like to ensure no pregnancy results. The pregnancy is unplanned and undesired, and medical science can now make non-invasive.

Saying some get to live with the consequences and should carry the zygote to term whereas some will not become impregnated through mere fortuitous circumstances seems a bit sterile and unfair. But a woman chooses to allow the process to proceed to pregnancy, then so be it as well.
This doesn't make much sense. A whole lot of waffling, and much different from your original response.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote