View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #28
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post

But what's really rich is how all you men are trying to tell hypothetical daughters what to do. See, you don't get to do that. Tough.
It's even richer for you to say we can't prepare for the day in the event that it comes. And it's even more rich for you to imply that we can't have these types of conversations with our daughters who do exist and before a day like that does come.

My wife says one of the most effective parental talks she ever had with her dad as a teenager was when they discussed pregnancy and what he would do if she ever got pregnant. The choice would no longer be hers: she'd carry the baby to term and give it up for adoption. She didn't think she would have the strength to give up a baby, and so it was one motivation for her to remain abstinent.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote