View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
A good post. It is nice to hear someone actually debate on the issues.

I don't see the same problem you see with legalizing gay marriage. First, it is the homosexual conduct that many find repugnant, not necessarily the marriage itself. That conduct is already legal (and constitutionally protected). I don't think most people then conclude the government promotes homosexuality.

I also don't think legalizing something necessarily makes it harder for you to teach your children the activity is inappropriate. Did you ever think growing up that drinking was appropriate? How about smoking? Do most Mormons think gambling is appropriate or have a more difficult time teaching their children it isn't because it is legal?

The issue is debatable, and I haven't actually ever seen any scientific evidence on the point (though I would imagine some exists). If you are aware of something, I would enjoy reading it. From personal experience, I have a hard time accepting your premise, however. OTOH, for those growing up in an atmosphere that doesn't contain church teachings or a similar foundation, perhaps societal norms are the measure of what is and what is not appropriate. Again, I don't know. But I haven't seen any evidence of your claim.
But of course spit on the fact of the spiritual evidence of it....since of course your political views are more important than the Saviors direction.