View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #20
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Yep. If opposition to gay marriage has become a fundamental, core belief of our religion, then the Brethren would add a question about it to the temple recommend interview.

Until that happens, nobody who opposes Proposition 8 is being asked to give up full membership in the Church. Maybe it's those who think this issue is a required component of being a good Church member who are "missing the mark" here.
Seems to me that the church can tell me that in order to belong as a member i have to believe in (1) the divinity of Jesus Christ; and (2) that priesthood power was restored, including keys of continuing revelation, through joseph smith. Other than that, i don't see what the church can tell me i have to believe exactly. Obviously, the church can discipline and revoke membership where conduct is not in keeping with church teachings, or is harmful to the image of the church, etc (i have no problem with that). however, that the church, or its members, would expect me to believe in anything other than (1) or (2), just because the leaders that i support and sustain say so, is offensive to me as a man of "accomplishment" and "intellect" that the church seems so happy to have in its membership roles as long as they are followers of what is expected.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote