View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
You're citing the crazy arguments that most reasonable people know aren't true, and that's a fairly easy straw-man to burn.

The most coherent argument I hear from the other side (my wife) is that marriage is a sacred union of two individuals necessarily connected with the also sacred power of procreation, and she would like to preserve that aspect of the definition in society. She's fully in support of giving civil unions every legal right that a marriage has, but the term "marriage" is important to her. I don't have a good answer to that, but generally fall back on my belief that the church needs to stay out of politics.
My intent is not to use that as a strawman. It is simply to point out that those are basically the same excuses being given over and over.

Your wife's position is fine, but again, it isnt terribly persuasive in terms of explaining why gay marriage should be disallowed. There is no articulated reason as to why it would be important to preserve that specific definition. I am not attacking your wife....my wife has a similar viewpoint (although perhaps not to the extent as your wife, not sure...). I am just reiterating that ultimately, most reasons given have been pretty feeble.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote