View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I was discussing Prop 8 with a devout LDS relative of mine, and I asked him the standard, "How does gay marriage threaten, in any way at all, my heterosexual marriage?" question. He had no coherent answer, just ended up with a non sequitur response of, "I just don't know how to act around gays."
I asked the same of my dad a while back. He couldn't come up with anything either. Then he started forwarding me links to crap blogs/articles. These anti-gay-marriage LDS are desperate for some good material in their defense but the best they can come up with is stuff from people like the noted homophobe Orson Scott Card. And he is a HUGE step up from the other morons.

I'm not getting forwarded emails from my extended family anymore attacking gay marriage. After I "replied all" and sent out some rebuttals.

I think for most LDS that are anti-gay-marriage, it is gut level aversion and disgust towards gay sex. "We don't have to articulate a position or argument, because it's OBVIOUS that it is DISGUSTING and EVIL." I think that is a nice summation of a lot of people's arguments, even if they are unable to consciously realize it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote