View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I love your misery. Love it.

My copy of Tropic of Cancer says on the back cover that the book was banned in the United States from its publicationin 1927 until 1961. That's how far we've come--Tropic of Cancer banned 47 years ago, a classsic today, no. 50 on the TIME 100 greatest novels.

Meanwhile, the LDS Church is still back there pre-1961. And it's getting routed. Annihilated. What I love about this--including the Gettysburgh analogy--is the self-delusion. This is a campaign doomed inevitably to fail, and absent the nightmare scenario. Than what? I'll tell you what, they'll assimilate rather than be pariahs, as always.
You are being mean, but it is hard to disagree with you on this one: Tropic of Cancer is a great book.

This Prop 8 initiative is the Y2K for the Church in this decade......we are warned and hyped about the impending destruction that will accompany gay marriage.....yet it is already legal in California and Massachusetts and nothing bad has happened.

However, to be fair, I am a believer (I know you are not, at least not in the same sense as a traditional LDS believer) and I still wonder.....does this man that I sustain as a Seer....does he see something that we all do not? What if he really does? What IF this time it is not a "blacks were less valiant," or "interracial couples are going to hell" or some other equally off-base teaching? What if this time, it is the real deal?

As a believer, I cannot say, with any real confidence, that the Seer is wrong. I can only say that it is possible that he is wrong. But it is also possible that he is right.

It is a tough issue for sure, but I do not disagree with your point...the Church has taken some social stances in the past that were less than amazing. It is possible that this is another such stance.

As King Lear said, "Pray, do not mock me....I fear I am not in my perfect mind."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote