View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #173
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
BTW, when I served as the local rabbi, a couple came to meet with me as they were contemplating divorce. The wife, who had been raised LDS but was very inactive during their courtship and early years of marriage, had found religion and became very active in our ward during the year her nonmember husband was on a carrier in the Indian Ocean. He complained that when he returned, the woman he had married was gone; she complained that he was unwilling to become more righteous and join the Church, and looked to me to preach repentance to him and support her. Bad choice. I told her I didn't blame the guy, and I'd be pretty bummed if the woman I married turned into something different while I was out. We talked about things for awhile, but the woman left feeling I'd really undercut her, while the guy felt surprised and pleased I was taking his side for the most part. I got a call recently from him telling me he had joined the church and they were getting married in the temple. I was not a particularly good, and certainly not exceptional, counselor, but I believe if a person follows gospel principles, a marriage will always be enhanced; if one wants to be a self-righteous prig, the marriage is toast. I see the LDS Church as supporting the former approach. You see it skewing more toward the latter; but then I feel the same way about the Lawyers Guild.
You're a good man. I doubt tex would have done the same, and I think Tex is a freaky composite of your average Mormon leader. He's a synthetic.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote