View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I know a guy who used to ride to ride his bike from Dallas to Houston to get to the port, he was a merchant marine. He would bring a handgun mainly because of all the dogs. Firing the gun would scare off the dogs.

I have yet to find a dog that can run 30mph indefinitely, so I don't have to worry about dogs.
This story will put me in bad standing with the peta crowd, but here goes. I used to ride this loop around the west side of the SLC valley that took me through bennion and Heriman. In those days, this area was very undevleoped and there was nothing out there. there was one run down farm house that had a couple of large mutts that used to chase me every stinkin time I rode by. I couopd out sprint him, but it was always close and he was big and mean. It used to really tick me off. So taking a clue from a paperboy trick I knew, I took a syringe (w/o needle, of course) and filled it with clorox and water and when the dog came out I sprayed him right in the eyes. He yelped and beelined back to home and I never had a problem with him again (he would stand and bark but would nto chase me).