View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

That sounds really fun. thanks. I am going to check it out.

When I was summering in LA, I was working for an Entertainment law partner almost exclusively. it was a lot of fun and right up my alley in terms of subject matter.

He was writing a very interesting piece about the economics of Hollywood and the illusion of bigger opening takes as each year passes. Forgetting inflation, he also explained the strategy of massive launches in multiplexes, with one theater showing the same movie on 3 or 4 screens the first weekend, all in an attempt to bulk up opening weekend stats....these numbers would be used to obtain future financing, etc..

The reason I mention it is because you referenced the concept of wheels and legs.

I was just thinking on my drive to work this morning that The Dark Knight will likely have a massive summer and a historic opening weekend. But I also remember as a kid when The Empire Strikes Back came out, along with Return of the Jedi......there were no megaplexes.....the lines wrapped around the theaters for several weeks after the movie opened. Getting in to see the movie, even 3 weeks later, was a big deal. Nowadays, if you want to see The Dark Knight, just wait about 3 days, then there will be plenty of tickets and you can take your pick on about 15 screens locally.

Kind of takes some of the romance out of the old approach to movies, where a summer blockbuster truly was something that lasted the whole summer.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote