View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The alternative is to, as I said, suggest that some men are predestined to sin. Are you prepared to address that implication of what you're saying?

There is a constant doctrinal conflict in gospel teaching between the standard of perfection, and the expectation of repentance. God expects us to fall short and thus provided a Savior, but he doesn't say, "Be ye therefore mostly righteous, when you're having a good day." He says, "Be ye therefore perfect."

Or, it's like the old story about the kid who willfully sins all the day long, and then at the end of the day expects to just repent and go on his mission. No problem, right? That's what the atonement's for, right?

The doctrine is that the flesh can always be made to be subservient to the spirit, though it may take a lifetime and more to fully understand how.
I don't disagree with the doctrine underlying the standard interpretation. I agree that God doesn't give us any temptation that theoretically we can't withstand (= abstain). I just don't see that interpretation as being very useful in the common setting of a pep talk to an audience preparing to withstand temptation. I'll have to mull this over more, but I think I see my interpretation as a more likely to be Paul's true intent.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote