View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Jay, I think you are being too hard on the standard interpretation. I think grace is pretty fully part of it. Even in that view the idea isn't that you can overcame temptation by yourself it is that because you have entered into a covenant with God that he will give you the strength to "escape" from the temptation. The last part of the verse clearly indicates that God will make an escape possible. I don't think I have heard the standard view ever contradict that notion. That makes this verse very much about grace.

My only objection is to the word "temptation." I think Paul is talking more generally about testing from God as reflecting in modern translations. Still, its not like the word temptation is that far off:
πειρασμὸς

has both meanings, trial or to temptation. It's used twice in this scripture. However the second time it's used as a aorist infinitive.

So Pelagius, I agree with you. Let AA or Solon contradict me.

Quote:
πειρασμὸς ὑμᾶς οὐκ εἴληφεν εἰ μὴ ἀνθρώπινος πιστὸς δὲ ὁ θεός ὃς οὐκ ἐάσει ὑμᾶς πειρασθῆναι ὑπὲρ ὃ δύνασθε ἀλλὰ ποιήσει σὺν τῷ πειρασμῷ καὶ τὴν ἔκβασιν τοῦ δύνασθαι ὑπενεγκεῖν