View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think that was more of an aside. Oblonsky was a very flawed person, but likeable in some ways nevertheless. He was very charming and polite. I think he really tried to help his sister. But Levin was pretty indifferent to Anna after his wife was so horrified at his infatuation with that adulteress. That was his reaction, first infatuation, then dismissal. Levin was insufferable in many ways. (Tolstoy's wife said Levin was a self-portrait; maybe she secretly loathed him.) The characters in War and Peace are more endearing and in some ways better developed, in my humble opinion.
I was joking more than anything. I liked Oblonsky much more than Anna. Anna often irritated me probably the way Levin made you disinterested. I always picture Oblonsky as Jude Law for some reason. Probably cause he shacked up with his kids' nanny too.

I have heard that Levin was Tolstoy himself which I can buy. Tells you much about Tolstoy himself.

I'd probably rather want to shoot birds and vodka with Oblonsky than do farm work with Levin and his serfs myself.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote