View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Prepping my lesson. But I am intrigued by the following and I thought I would hopeful get your input:
Read Alma 30:7-11:

Mormon digresses into a discussion of Nephite laws as he begins the Korihor story. I think it is interesting that equality ("for it was strictly contrary to the commands of God that there should be a law which should bring men on to equal grounds") is equated with the ability choose to serve God or not (Joshua 24:15).
  • Do you find this surprising?

• Is equality related in some sense with the ability to choose to serve God or not?

• Does this definition or aspect of equality have any bearing on the way we read the rest of the Korihor narrative?
Don't have any good answers to these questions so I would thought I would throw this out there separately so it doesn't get swallowed up by the rest of the material
I've always thought it has something to do with the Zoramites and the Rameumpton. Maybe the logic was that through laws on beliefs, you would somehow exacerbate the situation going on with the Zoramites where the religious were putting themselves about the rest? But as I think about it, I'm stretching to find the logic there.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote