View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Update: today, 2 talks in Sacrament....1 from Bishop, 1 from Stake President (1st C).

Stake Presidency shared the following:

1. 2 Sundays ago on the morning the letter was to be read, there was a video conference with all SPs in California and the 12, FP, and cannot remember whom else. The purpose was to reiterate the importance of this Prop 8 initiative.

2. The Stake has been given the goal of visiting every stake member household for the purpose of soliciting funds.

3. The talks were interesting, nothing new. Except the SP mentioned that one of the legal reasons we are against gay marriage is for reasons of adoption. The SP shared that in Boston, a suit was brought against the Catholic Church after gay marriage was made legal because the Catholics would not allow for gays to adopt through the CC adoption channels. As a result of the suit, the Catholic Church no longer handles adoptions in the state.

After the talk, a bunch of questions ran through my head....first and foremost was why the LDS Social Services in Mass was not also forced to allow gays to adopt through its channels.

After the meeting, I went up to the SP and politely engaqed him, asking for more info. He said that he was only sharing the story anecdotally.....the Catholic Church had been accepting federal monies to help run their adoption agencies and this were compelled by the state to not discriminate. The SP acknowledged that LDSSS does not accept federal money and would therefore not be compelled by lawsuit to "not discriminate." In other words, gay marriage would basically have zero effect on LDS adoptions through LDSSS.

I had never heard of this lawsuit before so I asked the SP for the reference. He said he would get back to me.

Hmmm...
The Boston Diocese recently made the news on this issue and case.