View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #31
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
http://www.defenders.org/programs_an...nsation_trust/

"A notable scheme in the US was started by Defenders of Wildlife, a non-government organisation. Their Wolf Compensation Trust was created in 1987 to pay compensation when wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park and the Northern Rockies. The Trust fund of $100,000, started by donations from individuals interested in wolf recovery, pays the market value of livestock verified by federal investigators as killed by wolves. Payments were expanded in 1995 to cover the reintroduction of wolves to Arizona and New Mexico.

According to Defenders of Wildlife, in the 13 years from the Wolf Compensation Trust's inception to 2000, it has paid $136,627 to 129 ranchers for 529 depredation incidents (for at least 167 cattle, 338 sheep and some dozens of other animals including pigs and fowl). This amounts to an average of $235 dollars per animal lost to wolves. The Trust also provides guarding dogs, fences and other depredation prevention measures for livestock ranchers."
"Verified by federal investigators." Somebody check out the rates for even pigs or sheep and see how many sell for $235.

The plan doesn't work you envirowanker. But hey, it sounds great on a website and some faggit politician from New York can go and circle jerk with his constituents that the federal lands are teaming with elk and sage grouse.