View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I have a friend that I ride with maybe a couple of times a year and every time we ride he has a tendency to ride in the middle because as he tells me "we have as much right as the cars do". I just think to myself "dude you're going to die one day exercising that right".
On several bike fourms I visit from time to time (see phred.org) the issue of "taking the lane" is hotly debated. Many cyclists see it as a safer approach becasue it forces cars to pay attention to you. Others say that it is unsafe ofr reasons that I think are obvious, expecially if you ahve ever encountered a pick-up truck full of beer drinking red-necks (sorry landpoke) on an isolated country road.

As for me, I only take a lane if I am moving as fast as traffic (some residedntial roads, downhills, especially on the tandem) or if it is a safety issue (no shoulder and no safe place ot be; shadows on the shoulder, etc.) Otherwsie, I like to try to be reasonable. I prefer to try to make friends with drivers rather than antagonize them. EVven so, in California, the vehicle code says htat bicycles are entlitled to take the lane (although many cops and local ordinances seem not to be aware of this fact).