Thread: Cui Bono?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 AM   #9
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
I guess I am not convinced that the overall greater societal benefit (or individual benefit) is served by pressuring gays, especially those with "strong and complete same sex attraction" to enter into heterosexual marriages. That seems like a recipe for heartache and sorrow to come to the innocent spouses and children of gay people who are living a lie.
You've hit the nub of it for me: what, in the overall analysis, is best for those with strong and complete same-sex attraction? The church seems to say two things:

(1) formerly, it said (and still says a little) to get married, find joy in children and your wife's companionship, all of which will help you bear the cross . . . (but what about the heartache of the wife during those loveless months; the emotional anger borne of suppression that will display itself in other settings?)

(2) now, it says remain celibate and lonely

For the overall state of the person's soul, we are taught to believe these are the two best options.

For the overall state of the gay person's earthly well-being, however, I'm inclined to think a loving, committed, and stable same-sex marriage would be best.

And that's the conflict I can't reconcile: long-term spiritual well-being (as taught by the First Presidency) versus earthly emotional and physical well-being.

If my signature line means anything, I think I come out on the side of earthly misery for my faithful gay brothers and sisters.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 07-08-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote