View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If the family is under attack, what is the best way to defend it?
Make "it" stronger. And this is incredibly difficult. Especially from the pulpit with generally lame talks. Most talks at the stake and ward level are very general, very rehashed and not very motivating. Say what you will above that level.

I see a lot of parents who are very mean to their children. Because I have a daughter, I see the dynamics of her friend's families. There are parents who refuse to say enough positive things to their kids. These kids come over for sleep overs and we talk to them, laugh with them, compliment them, don't yell at them to quit giggling at 3AM and they eat it up. By their behviour you can tell they are starved for positive
attention. Especially from males (fathers). And these are some active families with active leadership-calling priesthood holders. I've seen this in multiple wards in multiple states. These girls are going to get positive male attention one way or another, and if dad doesn't give it to them, they'll find someone who gladly will.

Have we ever had a very specific talk about these kinds of very specific problems? Holland tried with his talk on taming the tongue a few years ago, but those talks are few and far between. And they mostly get passed off as "I don't have an issue with that." And they are not nearly as specific as they need to be, IMHO.

This has to happen one person at a time, and that's very difficult to orchestrate. Maybe impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sorry, gay marriage is not the first thing that pops into my mind.
I agree. If that's our pressing issue, then we're in pretty good shape, as all the others have been solved.
But it's simple. It's an easy us-vs-them battle. And everyone gets to feel like they are doing "something".