View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #59
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I'm not so sure. How do you answer what Archaea and I have suggested about this being an insurmountable theological problem? Lets assume that leadership has every intention of trying to "catch up" on this issue. What does that look like?

How can the church allow for a gay marriage without totally abandoning its concept of eternal families, husband and wife as eternal procreaters, etc? I have been thinking about this and I just don't see it. Could you do a gay marriage for time only? Certainly it couldn't be an eternal marriage. Could children be sealed? No way they could be born in the covenant. Or do we totally abandon the concept of gender being an eternal characteristic? I think we have to become something else entirely theologically to accomplish this.

I'm open to ideas here, but I think this is a much, much bigger problem than just "want to." I would love to know if anyone has an idea of how to resolve it.

I imagine the Lord has an idea about how to bring gays into better fellowship. Can't the prophet inquire on this point? Or maybe he has and we just don't like the answer. Still, I don't think I've heard anyone say "this is a vexing issue that we have diligently inquired of the Lord on and the answer is....."
I agree--I think the theology prevents a full acceptance of homosexuality. One of the most beautiful aspects of our doctrine is the blend of male and female as a single unit progressing towards Godhood, with the subsequent eternal progression and procreation; homosexuality just doesn't fit with this.

The part that bothers me is how long it's taken for us to admit that there is a genetic basis to homosexuality, how long we've called them perverts, how we claim that masturbation can lead to homosexuality, etc. These statements are just plain ignorant, and while we are not alone among churches in these areas, we certainly seem among the most backward (or have until the last ten years or so).
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote