View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #47
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

"While we are opposed to gay marriage, we care for and are concerned about the welfare and happiness of gays in the church."

WHERE IS THIS SENTENCE?

Someone please point me to it, if they have in fact said something to this effect.

That's why, no, I don't think they care about these kids when it comes to this issue. Because there is a lack of compassion contained in it.

Is the church becoming more compassionate about gays? Yes. But it's not hard to get more compassionate than the position that was previously held. Do I think the parents of gay kids in the church feel any support? No I don't.
I think you don't hear that sentence because some general authorities don't believe that homosexuals exist. They have only admitted for the last 10-15 years that people may have inborn "same sex attraction" (rather than just being heterosexual perverts). The very existence of homosexuals seems contrary to Heavenly Father's plan for many believing Latter-Day Saints and certainly for many leaders. I was taught in seminary that God simply wouldn't be so cruel to make somebody a homosexual.

It makes things so much simpler if homosexuals are actually heterosexuals who have made a bad "lifestyle" choice. I think that is the imaginary world that some members and leaders are living in. If that is your mindset, you don't even want to acknowledge that there may be "gays in the Church" to be concerned about.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote