View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 02:47 AM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
First of all, let me state that from day one I have been on record as supportive of gay rights and critical of how we treat gays both in the LDS church and in Mormon culture at large. I believe that this is the "priesthood ban" of our generation and it will eventually change. I do not doubt that gay church members face tremendous hardships that most of us cannot begin to fully comprehend.

Nevertheless, whenever I hear statistics about suicide rates in Utah and/or the LDS church my bullshit meter starts to red-line. I have seen these stats debunked time and time again. Perhaps the stats are correct in this case. If so, it shouldn't be too tough to find some hard data to back it up.

By the way, here is an article about a study directly related to suicide rates within the LDS church:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/lds_LowSuicideRate.html

For the record: I don't have any gay family members, but I have had a family member commit suicide.
Because you hover over the middle ground, how do you see the Church resolving the matter theologically. To me, there is no theological resolution, thus that's why it only makes sense for gays to leave and hope the atonement some how makes up the difference, but perhaps other solutions exist.