View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
While I agree, I am sure that simply up and leaving the church is still difficult for many gay and lesbian Mormons. First, there is the issue with your testimony. You may still believe the church is true even though what you want out of life goes against its tenets. Then there is isolating yourself from family. While they may be loving and supportive, you still know of their disappointment. Then leaving the church also means leaving the culture you were raised in.

So yes, the best thing would be to leave, but it can't be easy. When you're raised Mormon, I just don't think you can make a clean break.
Initially the culture shock will ensue, but you can lose your testimony easily and engage in activities to distract you. Although I am sympathetic to the concept, I'm familiar with a few gay LDS who successfully made the transition.

The current position of the Church may be theologically correct, but it's not pragmatic. Live without sex. Hell that is hell, so no thank you. In Utah the problem would be more severe, and my limited experience shows me most leave the state of Utah.