View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #33
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How am I supposed to argue with "Myboynoah just likes Midwesterners better?" You can like them more all you want. The question is why shouldn't the government help both equally? Being likable certainly isn't a precondition to government assistance.
No, your question was why no criticism for the people in the midwest. I offered some explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Nobody is obviously an exaggeration, but feel free to show me any study that suggests a moderate or high percentage of people in SLC, Memphis or St. Louis have earthquake insurance. If you do, you are certainly the exception to the rule (and I think you know it too).

Who cares how many homes are crushed by the Great Salt Lake as opposed to the liquifying of the city basin? The point I am making isn't that the Great Salt Lake will crush more homes, it is that the city will be devastated by the earthquake and the Great Salt Lake will finish off what the actual earthquake damage doesn't. This type of earthquake is predicted to hit SLC within the next 30-50 years, according to experts. New Orleans, if history is a guide, won't be hit with a Katrina-like storm for another 150 years or so.
I don't understand your point? You create imaginary disasters and then want people to show indignation for the people's lack of preparation for these imaginary disasters. I've insured myself. My neighbors that I've talked to have as well. It surprises me that others haven't, even a majority. Should disaster strike, I'll have limited compassion for their financial loss. That's why I think it's folly to rebuild significant housing and such in parts of New Orleans.

But then, perhaps I'm the bigger fool. I think people should be responsible for themselves, and admire those that take efforts to do so.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote