View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
The very same ones?? I am not so sure that applies to the majority. The media paints with the very broad brush. Seems like some of the towns and areas hit before were either 1) not rebuilt, 2) built higher and stronger levees.

There is some policy in FEMA, etc, to not grant loans for rebuilding in the flood plains, thus, leading people to NOT rebuild in the same spot.

New, bigger levees actually add to the effect downstream. I get the sense that many people in the Mississippi flood plain chose the land because its very fertile. They actually have a reason to live/farm there. They just need to put their house in town above the flood plain (where possible, 150 year floods notwithstanding).

My issue: if you are going to live in a flood plain at least get yourself and movable property (car, etc) the heck out before the flood gets there and have freakin' plan. For that, I am sure the people of Illinois, Iowa and Missouri were 10 times better prepared than many of the people and public officials in New Orleans.
You can compare the flood maps from 1993 with those of today and you will see a lot of overlap. The bigger and better levees are possibly part of the problem (they have led to the rivers running faster and deeper which is causing even more flooding in some parts, additional stress on the levees that wasn't anticipated leading to breached levees, etc.).

To my knowledge, FEMA doesn't prohibit loans if you live in a flood plain, your lender will just require that you obtain flood insurance from the government which corresponds to the flood plain risk FEMA has allocated.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote