View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #37
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I just finished watching the American Experience - Truman bio on my DVR. Outstanding program; be sure to catch it if it comes on again.

I think Truman inspires because he was a regular, humble guy from a small town who fought his way to the top through hard work and grit. And he was thrust into the most powerful position in the world at arguably the most pivotal point in the history of the world. In spite of his humble education (no college degree), he had good judgment and usually made the right decision, even when it wasn't popular. His good judgment is evidenced by the staff he selected (has there ever been a better cabinet?) and the manner in which he interacted with his staff to make decisions. If only Dubya had such judgment.

As a sidenote, the series reminded me of what a witch his wife was. Truman should get an extra reward in heaven for enduring that woman year after year. Ugh.
I just like him because he was a good president, and he recognized Israel.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote