View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
One coworker I had soon after the Tsunami hit SE Asia was a very devout Christian and definitely believed most of the people who died were not saved because the percentage of Christians in those countries is pretty low. I think he felt sad about that idea, but it was definitely what he believed. I don't think that's uncommon among the more hard core evangelicals. The problem is their theology makes no provision for those who don't know to believe in Christ. We're all sinners, and the only way to heaven is through belief in Christ. So everyone else is toast. If you want to be a biblical literalist, the Calvinist idea actually makes the best argument. If it really is only about grace, then saying a prayer or trying to have faith is not relevant either, since God can decide to accept you or reject you. Otherwise you do believe in certain works.

What really seems unfair to me about that is that God would provide a savior who is only going to be able to save a very small percentage of those who have lived on earth. Most born agains I know either don't want to address that question and prefer not to think about it. A few, (and usually the hard core anti mormons come from this camp) have no problem with believing that only a select few get to go to heaven.
I tend to think that the average born again really does feel badly for those they think are bound for hell because they haven't accepted the Savior as the born again accept him.

Perhaps those who don't want to address the question about why so few will be saved are similar to Mormons who don't want to address the issue of the LDS church's past racist concepts. It's a lot easier to just set things like that aside and believe, rather than take a hard look and ask why it's that way.

I just know that if this Ute is going to hell, I'll be joined by my friends who are Cougar fans.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote