View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #48
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Do I have any substantive reason to believe her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You think the "court" of public opinion operates on the principle of innocent until proven guilty?
I haven't personally examined the book, but I can make a fair assumption that she probably provides at least some reference and/or documentation for her claims. I also find it a reasonable assumption that the publisher did fair due diligence on her claims before putting their company name on the book. These are just assumptions (not "proof"), but they are reasonable ones.

As a non-lawyer, I'm not professionally obligated to assume that anyone on the opposing side of an argument is automatically lying. In normal human relations, people are typically given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Moreover, you said "even if" her story was true, it wouldn't tell us about how the detainees are being treated; an odd assertion, given that detainee treatment is exactly what she's talking about. As I said before, if you were to accept her story as true, you'd really have nothing to argue about.

Last edited by Tex; 06-17-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote