View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Because Priscilla wrote it?

Origen thought Luke might have written it, but his famous statement that "God knows" is probably accurate.

Paul definitely didn't write it.

If you want to tie an ill-informed Mormon in knots with the NT, Hebrews is one of the best places to go. It's a commentary on why we don't need prophets anymore, has a teaching on angels that doesn't square with Mormonism (at least not in my understanding), tells its readers (maybe listeners--this one feels like a speech, and not a letter) why the Levitical priesthood has been replaced by Christ, why Jesus is our High Priest so we don't need earthly priests any more, it just keeps going and going...
We should have Pelagius lead the discussion on Hebrews, because from early on, the Church Fathers rejected it as being non-authentic. To compound matters, Joseph Smith in an off-the-cuff remark, noted "Paul" being the author. I submit Joseph Smith did NOT inquire as to authorship and was focusing more upon a concept than authorship at the time.

I finished John 17 a few days ago, and after reading that, I find it difficult for any person to accept the modern constellation of the Trinity, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

Pelagius on Hebrews.

http://ss.diether.org/?p=41#more-41

Last edited by Archaea; 06-17-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote