Thread: Oil in America
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #42
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
This is exactly right. *The* imperative is to reduce our appetite for cheap oil.

As for point argued before that we should let the market reduce our consumption, that's all good, but we've been here before, and we went right back to gas-guzzling hogs as soon as the price of gas subsided. Some things the market doesn't do well, and national defense policy, immigration policy & energy policy are three areas we shouldn't let the market decide where we go as a nation.

(Weren't conservatives angry when Carter created the Dept of Energy?)
Point of reference. If when the price of gas subsided we went right back ot gas-guzzling hogs, why was oil so cheap up until 2005 or so. Do you think the economic growth of China and India might have had something to do with it.

Plus in a free market system, aren't we allowed to make pigs of ourselves and then pay the price.

You think rising gas prices have hurt us, wait until the dems raise taxes. My guess is I will spend about an extra $1,200 a year in gas costs. That is nothing compared to what my taxes will cost me if Obama gets elected.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote