View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I don't think it's conspiracy by the NBA. The Grizzlies made the trade, and were stupid for doing so. I don't fault the Lakers, it's Memphis' fault for being so stupid. I also don't buy the 'rebuilding their team' argument either. They can prove me wrong by actually spending the money, but I don't think they will.

The other thing is why not shop Gasol more then they did. I'd bet they could have found a much better offer for Pau than what they got. Agree or disagree?

If I'm a Laker fan and can't admit that we fleeced the Grizzlies on that trade, then you are delusional. It will go down as one of the most lopsided trades in NBA History, if not in pro-sports history.
We fleeced the Grizzlies. But they got what they wanted. In terms of what they could have got had they shopped him around? Who knows? I mean, they're not going to get a super star for him. Is he worth a high draft pick? Probably not. Would you trade a lottery pick for him? Maybe. But that's not necessarily what they wanted. They've tried for a few years to build around him as the franchise player and it got them to the playoffs but never helped them win a playoff game. So they blow up the team, get some additional picks and expiring contracts to go after a free agent and rebuild.

And if you think that those 2nd rounds picks from the Lakers were throwaways look at what the Lakers have done with theirs in recent years (Turiaf and Walton). They also got Marc Gasol who in a few years can be as good as Pau and has been playing well in Europe now.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote