View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No, they never claim that. They aren't against trans-racial adoption. They just want race to be a factor in the decision in whether the adoption is allowed. A colorblind policy is not "the real world."

I have a cousin who is poly. I knew a family in Houston that adopted a black girl from foster care. Pelagius has probably met this girl.

I also have a friend who adopted a girl from China.
Indy knows this pretty well, apparently. There is a dire shortage of foster parents and people willing to adopt any kid (compared to those who want to adopt white babies).

The priority for placing kids in state custody after the parental rights have been terminated, is qualified family members first (uncles, grandparents, etc), then pretty much anyone who qualifies (based on sufficient income to support the kids and a safe home, including checks for crimes for the adoptive parents and frequent visitors). There are special provisions for American Indians, because there is concern about past forced assimilation. That makes it even harder to get quality placements -- more restrictions, fewer qualified prospective parents.

I know a couple who are white, they adopted 4 Korean orphans. I'm sure they might get some odd looks from time-to-time when the whole family is out in public but they are a very happy and well adjusted family.

If the black community is so concerned they need to step up recruiting of good AA adoptive parents.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote